Importing Talent: Navigating Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program in Ontario
The process for recruiting foreign workers into employment in Canada’s ICT industry can seem complicated and the process has changed with the removal of the “fast-track” process that formerly exempted ICT employers from the need for a labour market opinion. Because foreign workers are integral to the competitiveness and growth of Canada’s ICT industry, employers need to be up to date on current processes. To help companies understand the implications of these changes, the Ontario Government will host an information seminar for ITAC. The seminar will cover topics such as applying for a work permit, labour market opinion process, port of entry process and working in Ontario.
Attend this seminar and obtain up-to-the minute, high-value information on: Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program in Ontario. The seminar will give you comprehensive insights into the process provided by a roster of Provincial and Federal experts from: Citizenship and Immigration Canada; Service Canada; Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Trade; and Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration.
When: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. EDT
Where: Ontario Investment Trade Centre, 250 Yonge Street, 35th floor, Toronto, Ontario
HR Forum meetings are a great opportunity for professional development and information sharing.
8:30 – 8:55 Breakfast and Registration
8:55 – 9:00 Ontario Ministry of Economic Development & Trade: Welcome and Introductory Remarks
9:00 – 10:00 Citizenship & Immigration Canada: Work Permit Requirements (including documentary requirements); Work Permit Exemptions; applying for a permit;
10:00 – 10:15 Coffee Break
10:15 – 11:00 Service Canada: Labour Market Opinion (LMO) Applications, LMO Assessment Criteria, Application Processing Times
11:00 – 11:30 Citizenship & Immigration Canada: TFW Unit and Role and Processes of TFWU
11:30 – 11:45 Canada Border Services Agency: Admissibility/Entry Requirements, Work Permit processing at port of entries
11:30 – 12:00 Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration: Ontario Pilot Provincial Nominee Program
12:00 – 12:30 Questions and Answers
Importing Talent:Navigating Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program in Ontario
A government of Canada and Ontario seminar on hiring temporary foreign workers will include information on:
Too many agencies and departments involved in immigration?
- Understand the different roles of the federal and provincial governments in processing temporary foreign workers and immigrants to Canada
- Identify when a work permit is or is not required to work in Canada
- Gain knowledge of how to obtain a Labour Market Opinion from Service Canada
- Learn about the intra-company transfer provision in NAFTA and other international agreements
- Not sure if a Labour Market Opinion is needed? Discover the Temporary Foreign Worker Unit and how it assists Ontario employers
- Want staff to stay permanently? Learn about the options available including the Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program
- Need help? Meet with the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade’s Business Immigration Unit and learn how you can utilize their expertise to navigate through temporary and permanent options for your staff
To access the Ontario Government’s presentation, “Importing Talent: Navigating Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program in Ontario,” please click here.