Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Recent Employment Law Trends & Hot Topics – The Impact on the IT Sector
by Lisa Cabel, Norton Rose Fulbright
Over the last year, we have seen the development of a number of new issues and topics for employers within the legal landscape. The presentation will focus on just some of these areas as follows:
- How has the #metoo movement played out in employment/labour law – or has it, yet?
- Pay Transparency Act overview and implementation
- Managing complex workplace accommodation requests (focussing on protected grounds of disability – mental illness and family status)
The second half of the presentation will be an interactive panel discussion with certain ITAC members providing sector specific examples and scenarios relating to the topics above. Participation is encouraged!
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Host: Oracle, 100 Milverton Dr, Mississauga, ON L5R 4H1
Sheryl Helsdon-Baker, Vice-Chair HR Forum
HR CPD: HR Forum attendees earn one (1) CPD credit per hour
9:00 am: Check in and breakfast
9:15 am: Welcome and introduction, with presenter Sheryl Helsdon-Baker
9:20 am: Recent Employment Law Trends & Hot Topics – The Impact on the IT, with presenter Lisa Cabel, Norton Rose Fulbright
10:20 am: Q&A
10:30 am: Break
10:40 am: Interactive panel discussion chaired by S. Helsdon-Baker, with attendee participation
11:30 am: Lunch and Roundtable
12:30 pm: End of HR Forum
Ms. Cabel advises public and private sector employers on a broad range of labour relations issues. She has significant experience in:
- collective agreement interpretation and negotiation, collective bargaining certification applications and injunctions
- employment standards, policies and contracts, employee discipline, and terminations and wrongful dismissal claims
- human rights law with respect to discrimination and harassment claims
Ms. Cabel has appeared as counsel before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the Superior Court of Ontario, the Divisional Court of Ontario and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
She has particular expertise in the area of human rights and published a book last year with LexisNexis Canada called Ontario Litigator’s Guide to Human Rights Practice.