An Executive Summit hosted by The National Research Council
December 3rd, Ottawa (specific location TBD)
Supply chain security is a critical issue in numerous industries. In food and pharmaceuticals, it can mean the difference between life and death. In electronics it can mean millions of profits lost to grey markets. In automotive assembly and parts, it can mean costly recalls and unsafe products.
We humans can undermine the security of a supply chain in various ways. Ignorance and neglect causes defects. Disgruntled employees sabotage, attention-seekers vandalise. Criminals sell counterfeit, companies insert “backdoors” in embedded software. With increasing globalization supply chains will only become more complex; security means safety for consumers and profits for companies. As a trading nation, Canada has much at stake.
How can technology improve supply chain security? Printed electronics, photonic sensing, materials science, nanomaterials, high resolution imaging, diagnostics and big data analytics – all these are technologies that could play a role. They are also technologies in which the NRC excels. Should we become more active in spurring innovation? What does Canadian industry need from us?
Please join us for a one day executive summit to share your ideas and learn from leading practitioners. Attendees will receive a confidential report prepared by a third party facilitator, summarizing the key discussion points of the day. Participants may use this information in their strategic planning and product/service development. The NRC will use the input to feed ideas into its Research Pipeline. The report is expected to identify:
- What “secure supply chain” means to different industries
- Common threats across industries
- The economic opportunities for solution providers
- Common solution platforms across industries
- VP Operations from a major Canadian Food Processing Company or Retailer
- VP Operations from another industry: e.g. Pharmaceuticals, Aerospace, Electronics, Defence
- Thought Leader in Security
- Thought Leader in Supply Chain Management
- ~10 organizations, demoing or speaking to their technologies
- 5 minutes each
- Operations executives from the following industries: food processing, food retailing, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, packaging, software, and aerospace and defence
- Consultancies with security and supply chain practices
- SMEs with relevant offerings
- Thought leaders in security and supply chain management
- Relevant government agencies
- NRC staff (e.g. ICT, ACRD, NINT, HHT, Aerospace)
8:30 – 8:45 Arrive, Sign-In
8:45 – 9:00 Opening remarks
9:00 – 10:00 Panel: How secure is our supply chain?
10:00 – 10:15 Break
10:15 – 11:15 Innovation showcase: case studies at work today (~5 mins each)
11:15 – 12:30 Group Brainstorming: Top 5 Challenges
1:30 – 3:00 Group Brainstorming: Solutions
3:00 – 3:30 Wrap-Up
Contact Dave Fraser at firstname.lastname@example.org