The information and communications technology (ICT) sector is the fuel that ignites innovation across all sectors of our economy. As such, ICT needs to be closely aligned to the development of Canada’s Innovation Agenda and substantive
Budget 2017 – March 22, 2017
January 23, 2017 – ITAC launches all papers in book format.
December 6, 2016 – The Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC) delivers home the message to the Government of Canada that the single biggest issue standing in the way of CIO’s achieving their objectives in today’s digital economy is the limited access to skilled talent both locally and globally. ITAC’s fourth innovation paper, ITAC on Talent, outlines key recommendations from the information and communications technology sector (ICT) to support the Government of Canada’s transformation, modernization and digitization strategies.
October 26, 2016 – ITAC’s third innovation paper, ITAC on Digital Government, outlines key recommendations from the information and communications technology sector (ICT) to support the Government of Canada’s transformation, modernization and digitization strategies – underscoring its importance for not only engaging citizens and businesses but also staying competitive on the world stage.
September 29, 2016 – ITAC launches a four-part series addressing fundamental priorities of Canada’s tech sector. Issued are two innovation papers that underscore the priorities of the information communications technology (ICT) sector. Both papers, ITAC on Digital Economy and ITAC on Trade & Competitiveness, clearly outline recommendations to the Government of Canada on what the ICT sector needs to build a successful Innovation Agenda for Canada.
September 8, 2016 – ITAC issued an over-arching Innovation Paper itac-innovation-paper-september-2016-final, that summarized the four papers that will follow. In this paper ITAC also highlights that meaningful, bold changes are needed, such as:
- A willingness by government to make substantive policy changes;
- A whole-of-government approach to innovation program and policy development;
- Involvement from the tech sector throughout; and
- A circle back with experienced ICT leaders to table plans before they become final.
The focus of the upcoming Innovation Papers will be:
- Modern Digital Economy Innovation Paper (September 2016)
- Competitiveness and Trade Innovation Paper (September 2016)
- Modern Digital Government Innovation Paper (October 2016)
- Talent and Skills Development Innovation Paper (December 2016)
Innovation Starts Here – ITAC-Innovation-Agenda-Release-Final
- ITAC 2017 Federal Pre-Budget Submission – Final
- itac-oecd-english-leave-behind-final (Innovation Fundamentals)
2016 Pre-Budget Submission
ITAC has made 9 recommendations based on the four themes put forth by ITAC’s Tax & Finance Committee after a broad consultation with members. These nine recommendations have been organized under four themes of Productivity, Infrastructure and Communities, Jobs, and Taxation which is consistent with Government’s mandate letters.
2016 Hill Day
ACTIONS TAKEN: The ITAC team is now working on its 2016/2017 federal plan. This will form the basis for the Public Sector Business Executive Committee’s engagement with the Government and it will also be sent to the ITAC Board. Our focus is to help Government build a digital first strategy for Canada, understand what investments are required to build and sustain a digital economy.
The target is to ensure this plan is put into motion in time to make an impact before the House rises in June. And, from immediate tactical perspective actions were taken last week to reach back out to each of the Ministers, thank them for their time and attention, and address the specific issues raised in each of our meetings. Letters follow:
ENGAGEMENTS C-Suite Executives from 21 member organizations had the opportunity to engage with these delegates. Link to each follow-up letter:
- The Honourable Bardish Chagger P.C., M.P. – March 2016
- The Honourable Judy Foote, P.C., M.P. – March 2016
- The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, M.P. – March 2016
- Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk – March 2016
- Minister Navdeep Bains – March 2016
- The Honourable Rona Ambrose, M.P. – March 2016
- Mr. Michael Wernick – March 2016
- Celina Caesar-Chavannes, M.P. – March 2016
- Greg Fergus, Parliamentary Secretary, ISED
- Leona Alleslev, P.C., M.P. – March 2016
- Terry Beech, MP – March 2016
- Ron Parker, SSC – March 2016
- Jennifer Dawson, TBS – March 2016
- David Lametti., M.P. – March 2016