Privacy Statement for the Information Technology Association of Canada
Your Acceptance of these Privacy Statement Terms
What Data do we Collect and How do we Use it?
ITAC collects and processes information about you in order to:
- Process transactions or bookings submitted by you;
- Improve our Services and Web site;
- Customise your experience (if applicable), for example, provide advertisements that we think are relevant to you and which support any specific requests for information you may make through keyword searches;
- Send you information we think you may find useful, including information about our activities
When registering for an event for example, you may be asked for information about yourself, such as your name, e-mail address, postal address and telephone number. In addition, when you make a payment through our Web site, we will need to know your credit/payment card number and expiration date.
You are under no obligation to provide this information, however, if you choose not to ITAC may not be able to satisfy your request, such as registering for an event.
Log files/IP Addresses
When you visit our Web site, we automatically log your IP address (the unique address which identifies your computer on the internet) which is automatically recognised by our web server. We use IP addresses to help us administer our Web site and to collect information for aggregate use. We do not link IP addresses to personally identifiable information.
Non Personal Information
We may automatically collect non-personal information associated with you, such as the type of internet browsers you use or the site from which you linked to our Web site. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on our Web site. We may from time to time supply the owners or operators of third party sites from which it is possible to link to our Web site with information relating to the number of users linking to our Web site from their sites. You cannot be identified from this information.
Cookies are pieces of information that a Web site transfers to your hard drive to store and sometimes track information about you. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that. However, you may not be able to take full advantage of a Web site if you do so. Cookies are specific to the server that created them and cannot be accessed by other servers, which means they cannot be used to track your movements around the web. Although they do identify a user’s computer, cookies do not personally identify customers or passwords. Credit card information is not stored in cookies.
- To estimate our audience size and patterns;
- To ensure that you are not asked to register twice (if applicable);
- To control how often visitors see similar ads (if applicable);
- To improve and update our Web Site;
- ITAC will not share, sell or rent your personal information to third parties. If we use your personal information for events, products or services offered in partnership with others, we will not allow such third parties to access and use such personal information for any other purpose. Personal information provided by you to such third parties is subject to their own privacy policies.
ITAC may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or if it believes that such action is necessary to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of ITAC staff and its Web site, visitors to the Web site and customers of our Services. Our Web site contains links to the sites of third parties. When you visit these sites, we suggest that you read their privacy policies. ITAC is not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
ITAC places a great importance on the security of all information associated with our customers. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of customer data under our control. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to user information. While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur, we use our best efforts to prevent this.