April 30, 2020
Week # 6 TRANSITION TO RECOVERY: TECHNATION’s focus is quickly transitioning to enable the governments’ recovery phase through digital solutions. Our many meetings with government stakeholders and push for greater visibility and access for our members related to government opportunities, is starting to pay off. Governments are directly reaching out and seeking our input.
To access incoming government opportunities (municipal, provincial and federal) please register your company on the TECH2GOV Innovation Exchange. We currently have notification from the Government of Ontario for need of:
- Thermometers or alternative technologies to read body temperature such as thermal imaging cameras;
- Test kits; and
- A product or app that helps with social distancing.
Next week we will be uploading a more extensive list of national, federal and provincial procurement requirements accessible for companies who have registered.
We have added some new ‘Technology – Government’ engagement programs focused on Canada’s Recovery phase. The goal of these programs is to offer co-development opportunities with our government partners as they seek TECHNATION thought leadership in future procurement of digital applications and technology.
We look forward to your on-going engagement and insight as we work together on recovery through digital transformation!
Finally – welcome to our newest member, Tayana Solutions!
Angela Mondou, President and CEO, TECHNATION
- Earlier this morning, TECHNATION hosted its monthly federal Public Sector Business Committee meeting, where senior Government of Canada officials, including Marc Brouillard, Chief Technology Officer of the Government of Canada, Raj Thuppal, Senior Assistant Deputy Minister at Shared Services Canada, and representatives of Shared Services Canada and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, briefed members on the status of ongoing work in the public sector. The recording of the meeting can be found here. To join the PSBC mailing list or for more information, contact Andrew Walker
- This week, the Government of Canada announced the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program, which offers forgivable loans to eligible commercial property owners so that they can reduce the rent owed by their impacted small business tenants by at least 75% for the months of April, May and June, 2020. More information can be found here.
- This week, the Government of Ontario announced its Framework for reopening the province and Ontario Together Portal, along with the Canada-wide First Ministers’ Approach to Restarting the Economy.
- On April 28 the Government of Ontario created a new website to accept proposals for temporarily changing rules and regulations to help: assist the health care system meet the needs of needs of the emergency; assist businesses in retooling or producing essential or health-related products and supplies; and make it easier for businesses trying to operate remotely or in a non-traditional fashion and are facing unexpected challenges.
UPCOMING TECHNATION EVENTS AND MEETINGS
- May 7: Ontario Public Sector Business Committee meeting. Register for the meeting here.
- May 12: Setting the Stage – City of Toronto Briefing Event. What does Response, Recovery and Rebuild mean to the City of Toronto in terms of digital acceleration and innovative procurement? This curated dialogue will bring government and industry together to learn how the technology community can provide business value, identify specific opportunities for co-creation and to cultivate a more effective partnership-based approach. Moderated panel discussion will follow the presentations. More info and registration here.
- May 20: Executive Briefing with Minister Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation, and Trade of Ontario. Learn more and register
- May 28: Federal Public Sector Business Committee meeting. Register for the meeting here.
- June 11: CCIO Briefing and Panel Discussion with Dafna Carr and Ontario CIOs. Save the date – registration opens soon!
INDUSTRY SUPPORTED EVENTS
- May 6: IDC Directions Webinar – COVID-19 Impact: What’s Next for the Canadian Tech Market? 1:00 p.m. EDT. Learn more and register
- Wed. May 6: Prepr Foundation – Innovative Solutions to create Future of Work – NEW DATE. Learn more and register
SUBSIDIES AVAILABLE FOR SUMMER WORK PLACEMENTS – Many students still looking for jobs!
Through the TECHNATION Career Ready Program, you can access incredible young minds from across the country. Even though most organizations have had to pivot – there are still many projects and deliverables that have to be met. Let a student help you! Remember – you can receive a subsidy of up to $7,000.00 for each student you hire.
Learn more: www.itactalent.ca/careerready
Reach out: firstname.lastname@example.org
SkyHive is partnering with Accenture to support global Chief Human Resources Officers to create shared workforce resiliency: keeping as many workers healthy, safe and employed as possible while equipping people with new skills for the future. Learn about SkyHive’s role in this ambitious global initiative in this full report: https://accntu.re/34PfGNL
xahive has partnered with Centennial College to create micro-courses aimed at non-technical staff that will show you how to defend yourself and your company against cybercrime. Upon completion of the micro-courses, you’ll earn an internationally recognized badge from Centennial College and xahive and be able to share your achievement on LinkedIn. Participants of all six micro-courses will meet Canadian, US and UK/European cybersecurity training requirements. Click here to learn more.
Xahive has also provided free cybersecurity webinars for numerous business/trade organizations & associations such as the Toronto Board of Trade and HIMSS where their cybersecurity governance content is being utilized by professionals in 100 plus countries globally. Learn more