May 22, 2020
Six weeks until Summer and we’re continuing our efforts around government collaboration.
We’ve significantly re-vamped our B2B and B2G events, launched a new Speakers Bureau and are continuously updating our TECH2GOV Innovation Exchange. If your product or service is procurement-ready, add your information to this important database!
NOTE: Today Prime Minister Trudeau announced a nation-wide contact tracing search. CONSIDERING TRACING TECHNOLOGY. In order for people to “move around freely,” the ability to pinpoint and quarantine new cases is required, said the prime minister, explaining that the federal government is looking into various technological solutions to assist in this, though serious privacy questions remain about using cell phone apps to monitor Canadians. The federal government is currently studying potential app options that will help with the contact tracing efforts. Tools to aide in this have already been implemented in other countries, including South Korea. Trudeau said Friday that he hopes to have more guidance on apps in the coming weeks.
TECHNATION has been invited to participate in the ON Innovation Council – with Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade of Ontario, Vic Fedeli. To date this has been a great platform of candid dialogue with respect to your / member input and key messages. I believe this will become an influential forum for TECHNATION to collaborate with Government.
On Wednesday, we hosted our first online Executive Briefing with Minister Fedeli. Contact Nevin French for an update. More meetings like this to come!
This week from government:
- The Government of Canada’s Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility
- An expansion of the Canada Emergency Business Account, which offers interest-free loans to qualifying SMEs throughout the COVID-19 crisis.
Finally, mark your calendars: June 18 will be our first-ever virtual AGM.
President and CEO
UPCOMING TECHNATION EVENTS AND COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- May 28: Federal Public Sector Business Committee meeting.
- Register for the meeting here.
- June 4: National Public Sector Business Committee meeting. (12:00-1:30 p.m.) The Committee brings together experts and leaders from provinces and territories across Canada to discuss their respective government’s ongoing work in digital transformation and economic development.
- June 11: CCIO Briefing- Recovery, Resilience and creating a bold new vision together (9:00 -11:00 a.m.) Virtual Briefing and Panel Discussion with: Dafna Carr – Corporate Chief Information Officer/Associate Deputy Minister, Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services; John Roberts – Chief Information Security Officer – Cyber Security Division; Renee Laforet – Chief Information Officer – Government Consumer Services I+IT Cluster; and a representative from Ontario Shared Services
- June 18: TECHNATION Virtual AGM + Keynote Speaker (5:00-6:30 p.m.) All individuals working for a TECHNATION member company are invited to attend. We will be announcing a global keynote speaker that will inspire and share future tech trends. Mark your calendar.
- June 29: Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Cybersecurity Best Practices. Virtual Live Event. We welcome SME (members & non-members) to attend a virtual cybersecurity workshop and hear about the challenges associated with leading a SME through cyber security risks + 3 break out sessions. Register here